Lathem Mechanical Time Recorders have self-reversing ribbons. If the ribbon does not reverse, the issue could be due to the ribbon being loose on the spool. If the ribbon is loose, it does not have enough tension to pull the Reversing Fingers in order for the ribbon to start passing through the Mechanical Time Recorder in the other direction:
- Unlock the case cover and pull it forward to remove it. Wait until the clock clicks.
- Press either side of the Type Section Headlock to unlock the clock face. Review the users guide to see a diagram.
- Pull upward on the lower part of the clock face until the Type Section locks in place.
- Push the Reversing Fingers toward the other side of the clock.
- Slowly let the Type Section down and press it firmly into the Type Section Headlock.
- Inspect the ribbon to be sure the grommet exists in the ribbon near its end and is being caught by the Reversing Fingers. If there is no grommet, if it is not caught by the fingers, if there is not enough tension in the ribbon, or if there is too much resistance in the shifting of the fingers side-to-side, the auto-reverse will fail.
- Set the punch time on the time recorder.
- Set the face time on the time recorder.
- Hold the corner of the Clock Face and release the Release Latch.
After the time is set, connect the clock to AC Power. If the problem persists, contact our Technical Support Department at 404-691-1064.